The Library of the
Parliament of Canada is considered to be the premier heritage building
in Canada, and the only surviving part of the original high-Victorian
parliamentary building built in the 1860's. The building continues to
serve its original function as the Parliamentary Library for both the
Senate and House of Commons.
In 1998, the firm of Ogilvie and Hogg, Desnoyers Mercure, Spencer R.
Higgins and Michael Lundholm, Architects in Joint Venture, was retained
by Public Works and Government Services Canada to design and oversee
a project to conserve, rehabilitate and upgrade the building for a design
life-span of 50 years.
The conservation aspects of the project included an extensive list of
sub-projects that encompassed a wide range of issues from as-found structural
drawings to fine-art conservation. The firm of Spencer R. Higgins Architect
primarily directed the masonry, roofing, ironwork, glazing* and woodwork
conservation aspects of the project and acted as conservation specialist
advisor for the work of the other members of the team.
The project was completed in late 2006 with a final construction cost
of $70 million and final project cost of $135 million. All work was
executed to the highest conservation standards and to the full satisfaction
Our affiliated conservation laboratory ArconTEST provided a full time
on-site conservator and developed and tested innovative formulations
for the hydraulic-lime based grouts and mortars used on the building
as well as carrying out non-destructive testing and investigation of